Personal privacy can be a concern when using Internet web sites or when you are a member of an organization such as Asbury that maintains a web site. Rest assured that Asbury’s webmaster and staff are committed to the protection of your privacy, whether you are a member of the church or a visitor to our online home. Read on for details on our guidelines with respect to personal privacy that applies to the publicly-available part of the Asbury web site.
If you feel that any part of this policy is inappropriate or that we have violated any guidelines in some way, please e-mail our webmaster or contact the church office. We will make every reasonable effort to address any concerns.
For Users of the Asbury Web Site
• As with virtually all web sites, information about your computer and your Internet browsing activities is naturally collected as you use Asbury’s web site. This information can include details such as your computer’s network address, the type of web browser that you are using and various settings within it, when you access the web site, how you reached the site, and what pages you visit once you’re here. This data is only used in aggregate to monitor trends, gauge usage, and provide valuable information to help us make the site more useful to you. We never use it to isolate a specific user’s activities.
• Occasionally, we may have blog entries that allow site users to post comments. When you post a comment, you are required to provide an e-mail address. These e-mail addresses will be visible to site administrators but will not be posted in any way publicly on the web site. The addresses will not be used by site administrators or church staff in any way other than possibly to continue a private dialog with you regarding the blog entry and your comments, and no list of such addresses will ever be accumulated for any purpose.
• Other than the information described above, no personal information about you is naturally collected as a result of your use of the Asbury web site at this time.
• All information posted on the Asbury web site and collected as described above is maintained on servers provided by our web site service. We believe that they are a reputable company that takes the privacy of information that they manage seriously. If we ever find that this is not the case, then we will ensure that they remedy the situation or discontinue use of their service.
• The site provides various e-mail links to contact specific Asbury staff members and to send specific types of requests to the church. Links to specific staff members send e-mail directly to those people. E-mail addresses for submitting various types of requests from the “Contact Us” page are forwarded to different people based upon the type of request. General inquiries are sent to the church’s Administrative Assistant and Pastors and may be forwarded on to other staff personnel and/or Asbury members based upon who is best able to respond to the request. Prayer requests and pastoral care requests are sent directly to Asbury’s pastoral staff and will not be shared with other staff or the congregation without your permission. Web site-related inquiries are directed to the Asbury webmaster.
• There are a variety of other web sites that are accessible via links from our site. These links are provided because we feel that they will be interesting and useful to you and we believe that they are administered in a safe and reputable manner; however, we do not control either the content or the privacy practices of these sites. You are encouraged to read their respective privacy policies if you have any concerns about your privacy while using them. If you find content or practices with any of these sites that you feel makes them otherwise inappropriate to be highlighted on our site, please let us know.
• Asbury’s web site may make use of “cookies” to help personalize and improve your online experience. Cookies are small text files that are saved on your computer by a web site that you are accessing. Information contained within them depends upon the specific purpose that they are serving, but they can only be read by the web site that created them. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. You can choose to disable cookies within your Internet browser, but doing so may degrade your experience with our web site or other sites that you visit.
For Asbury Members and Participants in Asbury Activities
• We firmly believe in the power of pictures, so we will often be taking pictures at activities with the intent of using some of these pictures for the web site. If you are in attendance at any Asbury activities, it is likely that your picture will be taken.
• When posting pictures on the web site, they will never be captioned to personally identify anyone who is in the picture. The only exception to this is some photographs of current and past staff.
• If you object to your picture appearing on the web site, contact our webmaster or the church office and we will remove/not post pictures that prominently feature you. Be aware, however, that pictures may still be used where you are part of a large group (e.g., a group picture of a music group that you participate in; a “crowd shot” from an Asbury worship service or other activity).
• If you are an Asbury leader (e.g., committee member/chairman, contact person for a specific activity, etc.), your name and information about your role in the church may appear on the site. If you are a contact person for a specific group/activity, your phone number will never be posted on the site; a link to e-mail you might be posted, but will be “protected” in a manner that makes it unlikely to be collectible by mass e-mailers (“spammers”).
Changes to This Policy
• Changing circumstances and/or expansion of web site capabilities may require us to change this policy from time to time. When such a change is required, this page will be updated and the change will be highlighted on the web site via an announcement for a period of at least 30 days.
Adopted October 18, 2012